Friday, August 26, 2011

Yeast free cinnamon buns. Need I say more?


This last year has been quite a year with back injury etc and someone asked how I could be a size 6 now and eat what I eat. I think my baby sister said it the best.. "The trick to being a size 6 is doing everything that is good for the soul. And nothing that is bad for the soul" Now, don't get me wrong, I still have my sins, like a whole bag of wine gums every now and then.. not the little one. I'm talking the big Costco size bag. That has become fewer and far between, but you get the picture. 


One thing we avoid at all costs is margarine. We've stopped using it completely, and I cringe at having to use it. It isn't whole, it is full of weird things, and if my body has to work that hard at processing it, then we don't need it!We won't absorb any of the good, because our bodies are working so hard to get out the bad. Butter, butter, butter!! You don't have to use as much, and when you do use it, it's like a treat. Now, that is something pure and good, and my soul appreciates it, to the fullest.  


I had a baking day the other day, and went crazy, banana cookies (delicious), banana coconut bread, and these little morsels. This was my first time making cinnamon buns that didn't pop out of a can, and they were actually so simple to do, and took under an hour from start to finish! 


All you need:


DOUGH
2 cups flour
2 Tbl sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbl butter
3/4 cup milk (we used 1% with this, because we did plan on eating them all. Which we did ha ha!!)


FILLING
4 Tbl butter
1 cup brown sugar (you can use more or less)
3 tsp cinnamon
Nuts, raisins, etc to taste


GLAZE
1/2 powdered sugar/icing sugar
1/4 cup milk


What to do:

1. Preheat oven to 425F (250C)

2. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl
3. Cut in butter until the mixture looks like oatmeal or small peas
4. Add milk gradually, stirring with a fork. Dough should come away from sides of bowl
5. Knead 3-4 times and then roll into a rectangle 1 cm thick on the counter, lightly floured 


FILLING
6. Smear butter over dough, coating it. I melted the butter down so it would spread easier.
7. Sprinkle your cinnamon on top, to taste
8. Sprinkle brown sugar on top
9. Sprinkle your nuts, raisins, extra filling on top that you choose
10. Roll the dough up from one long side to the other
11. Slice into 1-1.5 inch slices and place cut side down in a greased muffin tin or cookie sheet
12 Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown


13. Drizzle topping on after they have come out of the oven. Enjoy!


These were really good, the kids and hubby ate them all while they were still warm! Make sure the kids get their hands in this job too, it's a lot of fun, simple to make, and easy to clean up. 






  • No comments:

    Post a Comment